Friday, January 8, 2010

The Moment a Child is Born...


"The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before. The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new."



I am in love.  Look at those eyes and tell me you wouldn't LOVE to look into them every single day!  I love when he laughs, I love when he "talks", I even love when his little bottom lip starts to quiver before he breaks into tear-falling sobs.  I love my baby boy. 

I can't believe how much my life has changed since having him.  It's as if I view life with a whole new set of eyes.  I can't hardly look at a news program or read a story about a mother who lost her baby or a dad who is tragically (and unjustifiably) separated from his son.  Whenever I watch one, all I can see is me in the place of the distressed parent and my baby in the place of the innocent child.  I watched Dateline tonight about the Bring Sean Home: The Untold Story, and for the full two hours, I took on the incredible grief and loss of David Goldman.  I went through emotions like fear - wondering if Neil would ever just up and leave with my baby and forbid me from seeing him.  Anger - furious at the wife for taking Sean to Brazil.  Compassion - for David, as he seemed like a wonderful, loving father.  Sympathy - for Sean as I can't begin to imagine what emotional scarring has taken place.  But most of all, my heart was broken for the father... for 2 hours.  But then, the television gets turned off, the internet shut down, and my life returns to the normal I know it to be.  My sleeping baby safe in his crib.  My loving husband sitting next to me on the couch.  And my beating heart is slowing down steadily from the adrenaline rush of living someone else's nightmare. 

Except that I'm not living it.  And they are.  They really are.

3 comments:

  1. I love how you talk about "mom" stuff. It makes me excited for when my time comes and not scared. ** HUGS **

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jenny! I wasn't sure if I should keep this all a crafting blog, or blog about other things, too - guess I'll keep doing what I'm doing. Can't wait for your time to come - you are going to LOVE being a mommy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Though I gotta say, I believe we are mothers from the moment of conception. We nurture and protect that little life long before its birth and we love it long before we *see* it. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails