Thursday, September 30, 2010

When handing your baby to a veiled woman...

I know that I've mentioned that we live in a diverse neighborhood in Detroit, MI.
But did I mention that this is a common sight on our streets?


Sometimes I feel like we are living in a different country already!
I really love the diversity of this neighborhood, though, and am thrilled that Little Bug gets to grow up immersed in it.

I have made a few friends with Muslim women and have been surprised at how much I seem to have in common with them.

And in case you're wondering...
No, they don't feel oppressed by wearing the veil.
Many of them CHOOSE to wear it and appreciate the modesty it provides for them.

It is interesting, though, to watch the reactions of those who encounter these women on the streets - especially children.
Kids have a way of voicing comments that adults think but would never say out loud.

For example...
There are four kids who like to play outside of our house (the kids represent THREE different countries - one of them being Yemen).
When the little Muslim boy's mother came out to fetch him for dinner one night (veiled, of course), the Polish boy exclaimed,
"What a monster!"

It saddened my heart to hear that and I just had to correct him to let him know that this "monster" was a human being with feelings just like him.

I have to admit that Little Bug has had his share of inappropriate reactions towards these "veiled women".
I was at a neighborhood function when a veiled woman sitting next to me asked to hold Little Bug. 
He usually does great with strangers (as long as I'm in eye sight) so I handed him over.
Little Bug then proceeded to give the most blood-curdling scream I had ever heard from his mouth.
I was so embarrassed!

I can't wait to help explain to him someday that there is a REAL person underneath that veil.
A REAL person who needs to be loved and cared for.
A REAL person who needs to feel God's love from us.

Until then... I'm just waiting for the day that Little Bug tries to play peek-a-boo with one of them!

4 comments:

  1. Rebecca,
    I was surfing the net for baby items as I'm having a shower for my nephew and his wife's first baby when I found your blog. I especially appreciate this entry. i too live in a diverse area, although I haven't seen veils, and feel the same. My muslim friends are the most caring friends. Glad to find someone else with such caring feelings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Barbara
    I'm so glad you found me! Yes, living in such a diverse area is exciting, isn't it? Hard sometimes, but never boring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We went to Sea World earlier this month and my daughter saw a veiled woman. She said in awe "Wow. That woman is wearing a disguise." ;) I had to giggle.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails