Tuesday, February 1, 2011

New Mini Series by A Darling Day!

 I have some seriously exciting news for you today!

We are going to be starting a mini series on this blog called:

Jessica from A Darling Day is an 
extremely 
talented 
event planner that I stumbled upon through a friend.

Seriously, her stuff is amazingly cute, and you should see some of the parties and events she has planned!
And the best part?!

We get to benefit from her expertise!

Jessica has graciously agreed to post every Tuesday about easy, and affordable tips for making your next party or event super special!

Check out this amazing photo booth she created for an Alice in Wonderland party!
  
I thought we should get to know Jessica a little.
You know... since we'll be spending the next few Tuesdays together!

Tell us a little about yourself.
I was born and raised in central Illinois and moved to Savannah, GA to go to Savannah College of Art and Design, where I majored in fashion design. I took a job in Saint Simons, GA designing and buying apparel for a small franchise company. It was there I met and married my wonderful husband Neil! In the last year, we got married, I started my own company, we got a 70 pound "puppy" (who we spoil daily),we moved to Milledgeville, GA (huh? where?) and got a new house!


How and why did you start A Darling Day?
After working in the fashion industry for a couple years, I realized it was not for me. Go figure, right? At the same time, I was planning my wedding, enjoying every minute of it, and realizing I was good at it! It was then I took a leap of faith, quit my job and began A Darling Day.
Jessica offers custom invitations as well
 What is your favorite party memory from YOUR childhood?
If you met my mother, there would be no surprise that I have a penchant for parties! She is an amazing hostess. My favorite party was my 6th birthday. My parents rented out a back room at the skate rink, which my mom decorated like a 50's diner, complete with jukebox. She made each girl a pink jacket with their name on the front and "Jessica's Pizzaria" written on the back. We all dressed up in poodle skirts and saddle shoes and skated and ate pizza all night. It was perfect.

How do you come up with inspiration/designs for your products?
Many of my products are made from a mix of texture, which probably comes from my background in fashion. I love to sew, embroider or use fabric on paper (check out my custom invitations here).  I like to use images of simple life and nature (like my line of greeting cards).  One of my favorite inspirations came from old notes I had saved from grade school. I turned love letters from my fifth grade boyfriend into greeting cards (check them out here)!
What has been your most favorite party/event to plan?
I threw my friend Brigitte a Champagne + Cupcakes birthday party last spring. My handy husband and I built a tent-like structure in a vacant lot using sheer fabric and Christmas lights. The birthday girl and her guests loved feeling like they were transplanted into another place. It was magical. (check out the photos in my image gallery here)
When you're feeling down, what do you do to cheer yourself up?
I get active. The danger of working from your home is that some days you don't leave your home. I like to get outside with my dog, go for a walk and play!

Favorite movie?
There are a few movies I own that I can watch over and over- Hook, Big, Doc Hollywood, Mr. Mom and Under the Tuscan Sun

And finally, tell us something quirky/unique about yourself!  (Don't worry... we're all friends here!)
I am fiercely competitive at board games and a sucker for baked goods.


 I'm really looking forward to Tuesdays...
aren't you?!

1 comment:

  1. ohhhh, I am super excited about this, especially since my little one will be one in a few months!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails